Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Proposed Rout and Other Stuff

A short description of the proposed route can be found at this link:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatrivers.cfm?pg=more..

I remember in another life training for marathons with my great California friend and running partner Dan Sayer. By the time we ran the races, we had trained on all parts of the 26 miles. It was then easy to visualize every foot of the race and so by race day, made the event easier to finish.

Although I cannot physically visit this route in advance of the ride, between the very detailed maps I have received from the Adventure Cycling Association, Google maps and Google earth, I can get there via the Internet! Not quite the same as being there, but almost.

I try not to dwell too often on those parts of the geographical descriptions which read, "Rolling Hills are the norm, except for ..." I know the route is hilly for about the first half of this ride, but I won't worry now about that now. Also the part about "Tornado season in Iowa, Illinois and Missouri is May and June.." Just when I'm going to be there!

Being a California guy, I've never seen a Tornado but I understand the wind blows and it rains. I'll worry about all those things the closer I get to leaving! Well, maybe I should find out a little more about the rain and wind stuff. In the meantime, an hour a day on the bike, looking ahead to next week when it increases to two per day. Yikes.

No comments: