Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Little Over A Month To Go

You remember the list back a couple of posts ago. Well, I have most of that stuff in a pile on the floor of the basement. The racks are now on the bike and as soon as the #^#^**$ snow stops outside, yes readers, its snowing again, I'll be able to get outside to train with the panniers loaded with all the supplies I've got to take on the ride. The goal for training before I leave is to ride a 50 mile ride, camp, cook and the next day, ride another 50 mile segment. I should be able to pull that off without much difficulty and if so, then in my mind, I'm ready.

Of course, its my legs that have to cooperate with my mind, before I'm really ready.

I've got a route picked out all within the communities of Barrington Hills, Barrington, Lake and North Barrington. It includes both moderate and steep hill work as well as long rolling hills through the farm country which surrounds our home.


As will be the case on my river ride, most of these roads are two lane country roads with little traffic. I've ridden them lots of times with never once a surprise from a barn yard dog, but am now prepared for even that.

THE ROUTE

Below are two maps, one of the planned trip in its entirety and the other of the first leg of the trip, from Muscatine IA to Cape Girardeau, Missouri. (What infamous radio personality comes from Cape Girardeau??)





Indoor training now 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. Whew!

2 comments:

mufonix said...

Going to visit El Rushbo's birthplace while you are there?

Bob's Bike Rides said...

I thought I'd light a candle at the alter of conservative showtime and thought! You may remember, you and I spent the night there after that horrific thunderstorm just north of there. You may further remember, that after we checked in, I went straight to the bar and orderd a stiff drink. That's where you found me after you took your shower and came looking for me.