Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Stock Bike Changes Character



A year ago, I purchased this Trek Multitrack 7500 which until now, has been used for local day trips around the area, the longest of which was about 55 miles. Today, it is off to the bike shop to undergo a transformation. We will replace the front shock, replace a rear tire, attach a rear rack, replace the pedals and in a couple of weeks, attach a front rack and fenders, front and back. Before I leave, I will also attach a front and rear headlamp and a bicycle computer to keep track of distance covered. It is not my intention to travel at night, but rather these lights are to be available during those times I inevitably find myself caught outside in a thunderstorm with limited visibility, particularly on the part of automobile drivers.

Thanks to the folks up at the bike shop, I begin the transformation from casual to serious biker. This afternoon we will spend several hours taking this bike apart and putting it back together again. They have accepted my request to allow me to ask as many questions as I can think of regarding the mechanics and maintenance of the bike. Over the next couple of weeks, its appearance will change shape and begin to look like those bikes I've seen on adventure cycling and a crazy guy on a bike journals. My son Dave, an avid biker in his own right, strongly suggested I "practice change" a tire and repair a flat tire before I leave. I will do so today.

Just to make sure the bike does not get all the attention, I am now training, inside,as you can see from the snow still on the ground outside, 4 hours, 5 days a week. For a variety of reasons, all of us here in Chicagoland are praying for warm weather. We are tired of winter and I am anxious to get out on the road to train rather than having to spend hours on end on the trainer inside.

All appears to be going well and this afternoon, the bike begins to look like a serious road bike.

No comments: