Saturday, April 5, 2008

I'll Be Brief. Sort Of.

Today, after the longest winter since the extinction of the dinosaurs, my bike and I finally hit the streets! What a glorious day here in Chicagoland and a glorious feeling to be finally riding outside instead of training in the basement.

So excited I started out without my pump. Went back and got it.
So excited I started out with only a couple of dollars on me. Actually three.
So excited I started out with my new camera and after only one picture, the battery died.
So excited, I probably went further than I should have, 50 miles through rolling hills. We'll see how many leg cramps I get tonight.

The good news is that I got the 50 miles in just over 4 hours, which included about 15 minutes to wolf down a hot dog (I could have eaten three) from Tracks, one of the great hot dog stands in the Universe. I think I got $.23 in change back.

Today, following the suggestions of many who have ridden before me, I practiced riding and shooting the Mace, using inert products instead of the real stuff. Quite easy, as long as the several mailboxes, fire hydrants, signposts and tree stumps along the road weren't snarling or barking at me. Let those dog packs come. I'm ready for them.

My intention is to ride the same route tomorrow and if I can pull it off two days in a row without ripping or tearing something in my body, then I'll judge I'll be more than ready to ride consecutive 50 mile days on my trip, which incidentally, starts 1 month from today.

Tomorrow I'll have a new battery for the camera, some money, the tire pump on the bike when I leave home and should have another great day of riding. Right now, it's about 8:00. UCLA lost to Memphis in the NCAA quarter finals, (bummer), and I'll probably fall asleep on the couch shortly, so please don't call to give me a bad time about UCLA or their basketball game.

No comments: