Sunday, May 11, 2008

Hannibal to Louisiana, MO

33 Miles today, much less than I am hoping will be my daily average of 50.

Just some housekeeping information before I leave Hannibal. If you ever go to Hannibal and go to the Mark Twain Coffee Shop for breakfast, make sure you DON'T order the 4 pancake stack for breakfast! I should have asked before doing so, but each pancake is the size of a waffle. 2 would be enough to feed a family and I hated to leave all that food but just way too much to eat.

So with a full stomach I rode south from town, over the bridge and around the turn to face the first of what would be 10 or more of the most challenging hills of the trip.



This is NOT what you want to see with a stomach full of pancakes and no time to have even gotten warmed up for the day. That is a big mutha hill.

It almost broke my resolve, for pedaling up and down those kind of hills is reserved for really young people who emulate Lance Armstrong. I think of my sons Steve and Dave back in Los Angeles who ride these kinds of hills all the time. They are inspirational! With them in mind, I made it though, and all the others, only walking part way on 3 of the worst. Maybe by the time I'm done with this ride I can get up them all, but not this morning. Today though, sore legs, sore legs, sore legs.

It would be a very challenging day because not only were there lots of those kinds of hills, there was almost all day, a strong southerly wind blowing, (I think the precursor of last night and today's very rainy and windy storm), which really puts a damper on pedaling up and down against what seems like an invisible hand pressed against one's forehead. It is discouraging to struggle to the top of one of these hills only to have to pedal DOWNHILL because the wind is so strong.

It would seem that wind might be a constant up here.



Appropriate name for a street on top of one of these hills.
Here's some highlights of the day.

Another "Road Closed" road sign on highway 57, my route for the day and miles from nowhere, which turned out this time to be passable.



Not what you want to see miles from nowhere. Luckily the local sheriff, whose number I had, allowed that there was a way for a bicycle to get through. Thank you Sheriff!I found my way around it!



The reason for all the fuss, and the reason there were no cars on the road today. That drop-off is a vertical fall of about 50 feet. Not what you want to experience on a dark night in your car.

Further along on the deserted highway I was able to give an election speech to a group of cows, promising them that if elected, I would not allow them to be served up in some MacDonald's somewhere. I don't think they thought I had a chance of winning but were willing to listen to my speech.



As you can see, the guy in front whispering something in the ear of his buddy about all politicians being alike...and finally, by the end of the caucus, my audience had shrunk.



Sighted in order, several eagles perched high up on the rock cliffs in trees or soaring above the countryside,(no, I am not roadside kill, so you can go away), a beautiful red fox who watched my pedal by from a safe distance, a turtle trying to get across the road, (if cars on that road, the turtle would be history).



Where I rescued the turtle. I drove by, had second thoughts about him/her/it, turned around and placed it in the grass on the side of the road it was facing. See if you can see him/her/it in the grass along the highway. Also note the flooded fields. The Mississippi River is over there past the tree line. For just a few minutes at this spot, I enjoyed the quietness, the view and thoughts of friends at home.

And finally of the animal nature, passed by several dogs as I was struggling up hill, all of whom let me know they owned the road and I was forewarned of that fact. Counter intuitively, I stopped pedaling and called out to the dogs to "Stop barking, I am a friend." One of them was a hound of some sort, a couple of the lab genre and a couple more just plain old mutts. Once I stopped riding, all the fun seemed to go out of it for them and they walked away slowly, looking over their shoulders once in a while and giving a final bark or two just to keep me honest and disappeared back down the dirt lane.

Highlights of the human kind were Dan the 83 year old farmer out working on Saturday afternoon mowing his expansive front lawn and shoring up a culvert lined with rocks which seemed to have caved in. He was busy bent over piling stones back into place. He didn't have much to say except that "today was not a very good day so far and he hoped tomorrow would be better.

Unique to Dan was his hat. If you remember any old WWII movie where John Wayne or Robert Taylor was flying against the enemy hoard in P 38 fighter aircraft, those same hats they wore were what farmer Dan had on. His was on his head slightly crooked which made the whole conversation a little surreal. I wanted to ask him about it, but he seemed intent on working so I pedaled on.

Down the road a ways was this house looking just like it needed a good Realtor. I gave them the names of my good friends and terrific Realtors, Kerry Franze and Jeanine and Ron Van De Velde, former associates of mine still in the Barrington, IL office of Coldwell Banker. Hope they call guys and no referral fee necessary!



"Quaint Farm House located on large tract of land. Dirt driveway included. 3Br, 1 Ba with air conditioning. Lots of Extra.

This picture speaks for itself. As I entered Louisiana, Mo., an auction which usually is not good news, as in this case, grown children disposing of their parent's home and furnishings after their recent removal to a nursing home.



There are no smiles in this audience and if you can see the look on the face of the little blond girl in the foreground, it pretty well sums up the emotions of the gathered friends and curious onlookers.

Last highlight is the B & B I stayed in overnight. The Eagle's Nest Winery, owned and run by Karen Stoecklley and her artist husband John. What a fabulous little hideaway in Louisiana, MO. If you are reading this within driving distance of this small town, come have a terrific meal, visit their wine shop and have a great dinner and breakfast. (Breakfast included in the price, dinner extra).



Click on this link to visit for yourselves. http://www.theeaglesnest-louisana.com

Finally, checked in at the Eagle's Nest, I rode down to the river on what had become a dark, cold and windy afternoon. No one around but me and as I listened very carefully, I could faintly hear Tina Turner singing "Big Wheel" with all the energy and excitement of this grand River and her rendition of that great song. A perfect ending for a long day.



We've made it this far.

Finally, finally, its Mother's Day. Happy Mother's day to all you moms, step-mothers, grandmothers and godmothers who work so hard to provide so much for your families. Hope flowers, a card and a swell meal are on tap for you today.

It rained hard, and blew harder here last night and today, with wind advisories for this part of Missouri to be in place until the end of Mother's Day tonight. Lots of serious tornado damage south of here a few hundred miles. No way to ride a bike in 25-45 mph wind, so staying over one more night before I set out tomorrow on another very difficult hilly portion of this trip. Not sure when I'll next update this, but I will when I can.

1 comment:

Jason Nieman said...

Some of us from Springfield ride that route periodically. It is very tough. We usually go from Hannibal to Louisiana and back. 60 miles with like 10 huge climbs. Nicely done.