Friday, May 23, 2008

Metropolis to Grand Rivers (52 Mi)

Just outside Metropolis is the bridge over the Ohio River and the state highway that then leads on into Padukah, KY, about 10 miles distant.

I was told that the state highway bridge was the safer of the two available, so off I started bright and early. In my mind, the bridge part of this would be easy, remembering the wide shoulders on the Mississippi River bridges both entering Hannibal and leaving Cape Girardeau. As I remember, I even took pictures of the river from both those bridges, they were so safe.

Au contrair! Even early in the morning, lots of traffic on the 1 mile approach to the bridge and in the foot wide distance from the white line to the curb of the bridge. That's a one foot wide shoulder whereas the previous shoulders on bridges had been eight feet.

I've mentioned before the general courtesy of drivers all along the trip and crossing that bridge was no different. It's just that there is a BIG difference between an 8' shoulder and a 1' shoulder. The drivers were just as courteous but the space for forgiveness if one came too close was really pretty stressful. I had no inclination, even if there were space to stop, to take any pictures. What I really had an inclination to do was to pedal like hell in as straight a line as I could so I could be seen in my orange and yellow bike stuff and get off that bridge as fast as I could. I did! I survived to live another day.

Padukah is an interesting city that has made great and successful efforts not to die off with age unlike so many other Midwestern or Southern cities have. It is a city of lovely old homes kept in beautiful shape, a vital downtown business district and within that business district a neighborhood of art and crafts galleries and quaint (Yikes, did I say "Quaint?") small restaurants and tea shoppes. Beautiful old tree lined streets, Victorian homes now galleries and restaurants to suit every taste.

I will not take much time to tell you that the ride to Grand Rivers was along mostly flat with gently rolling highway, the temperature warm but not hot and all in all, a very nice ride.

Grand Rivers is a small town, a gateway to the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area, a huge area created by the Tennessee Valley Authority Dams which control water from the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers. The resulting lakes are miles long and wide and the federal government has created camping, fishing, hiking, boating, off road and horseback riding areas for all to use. It is a wonderful example of your tax dollars at work.

The park is pristine, is used by thousands every summer from Memorial Day to Labor Day and beyond. The bike route that I am following goes along the mountain range that runs the length of the park and is virtually free of automobile traffic. Except for the hill part, it is a beautiful place to bike.

Unfortunately, I cannot download pictures at this location, so will try to do so tomorrow.

No comments: