Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Troy to Washington - Sounds Like A History Lesson

45 Miles scheduled yesterday, but a wrong turn took me about 10 miles out of my way.

The day started out with hail against the window of my motel room with the rain ending about 8:00. A hilly, windy ride through beautiful country back roads, eventually ending up in Washington, Mo.

The roads were narrow, but once out of Troy, not heavily traveled and most with narrow but usable shoulders. A homeowner along the way where I asked for directions gave me an alternate route which not only was paved, (the map was going to take me along about 3 miles of crushed gravel), but fairly flat for a couple of miles. He wanted to show me his motorcycle, which now at his age of 75, with his heart problem, has something like training wheels on the rear of the bike so he doesn't have to worry about trying to hold the bike up when he comes to a stop. We laughed at the idea that we go from training wheels on our bikes when we are young, to training wheels as we get older. He still rides out in the back country all the time even with the bad heart.

I seem to be dwelling on the wind, but here's the thing. With southerly winds blowing in my face most of the day, combined with hill after hill, it sometimes just takes all I have to keep going. The easy thing would be to simply say, "I don't really need this in my life", but I'm in this for better or worse, and maybe this is the time the "worse" part gets over with so the rest of the experience is better. The wind yesterday was the worst of the trip but when I rolled into Washington, it was with a great sense of accomplishment.



Beautiful Flag. Standing straight out from the flagpole. Good news for the flag, bad news for any rider - me, in this case - pedaling against it up and down hills.

Having gotten that out of the way, on the good side of things, the scenery along the route was really spectacular. Creeks winding their way down through green valleys, an occasional ranch with white fences, lots of barnyard dogs to announce my passage and finally, a couple of miles along the Katy trail, then across the Missouri River into Washington. It is impossible for the pictures to really convey the sense of peace and calm, so I won't bother you with picture after picture of pasture or country road. Just know that this world out here exists beyond the ability to describe.

A couple of observations.

Generally, as one climbs a hill, you know you are near the top because there will be a sign posting a speed limit. If the sign indicates there is a turn, or to slow down, you still have a ways to go.

As it gets warmer, the flies are out. Sometimes when I stop, it takes a moment for them to find me, but they do. Sometimes, my speed up a hill is so tedious and slow, they keep up with me! They are small, and don't seem to bite, so it is annoying rather than a problem.

Farm dogs living off small country roads, for the most part, are kept in a dog run or are chained. Once in a while, they are not. I have found that counter-intuitively, when they are not, the best thing to do is immediately stop the bike, look them in the eye, speak with authority and tell them to go home, or at least to speak to them as though I am the owner, not a victim.

Yesterday, a huge dog came running after me, barking and growling. I stopped, he stopped and we had a stand off right in the middle of this narrow country road. As I would get ready to ride, he would advance. If I stopped, he stopped. Finally, he gave up and walked slowly back to his yard, turning occasionally as all these dogs do, to bark and growl just to remind me on whose road I am riding.

Now, the truth is I have a couple of cans of very high octane Mace very handy on my handlebar pack, police strength, which I am told will stop any dog in his tracks and for about 30 minutes cause it lots of discomfort. I am hesitant to use it unless I really feel threatened. So far, no need, although it is always in my hand when dogs are after me.

Today, I go from Washington to Sullivan along "narrow, winding and steep hills". It will be about 42 miles. I will be glad to get this day out of the way. All things being equal, I have two more days after today of really hilly travel before I begin to get out into the flatter land approaching Cape Girardeau.

Just a few photos from yesterday, but they tell the story.



I'll try to remember to slow down.



Pretty much tells the story of the day's ride. Today WILL be better.



The picture does not come close to conveying the beauty of this valley.

No comments: