Thursday, May 15, 2008

Washington to Sullivan

Nothing much different to report other than what has become a constant on this trip; Hills, hills and more hills! It was a long day, but blessedly the wind was negligable, not only that, there wasn't much of it! It makes all the difference.

I had the presence of mind to take a picture of what I have been describing as the most frequent interruption along the way. Meet Fido, someone's really good and territorially protective farm dog.



He wouldn't "Go home", "Sit", "Come here boy" nor anything else I could think of. Like all these dogs along the way, he just barked and barked until HE decided it was time to quit the game. Patience is a virtue.

When I get home, I have a bone to pick with the Adventure Cycling Association. This ride is called the Great Rivers Ride, South. While I've spent some time along the Mississippi, and crossed the Missouri and quite a few smaller rivers and creeks, I am currently in Potosi, a small town 65 miles south and west of St. Louis. (More about Potosi in my next blog). This ride, now that I've got enough of it under my belt, really ought to be called, "The Great River Ride, Rolling Hills, Ride and Push Your Bike Up and Down, Sometimes In The Rain, Route. I'll take care of that directly with the Association.

Anyway, arrived in Sullivan, about 45 miles, about 4:00 in the afternoon, dog tired but thrilled to have gotten through the day. It continues to amaze where strength comes from when all thought of completing the day is gone. Of course, that is part of what this adventure is all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The dog thing is something I can relate to. Thankfully here, pretending to throw a rock is usually enough to scare the crap out of them. When that fails, throwing a real rock usually does the trick. Failing that, kicking or smacking them on the nose with my skateboard usually gets them to back off.